068 PLANET OF THE DALEKS by Terry Nation
Illustrated by carvic
SEASON 10 / STORY 4
The Doctor has been gravely wounded by the Master and is lying on the TARDIS floor, his two hearts only beating once every ten seconds. It is up to Jo to take them to safety and with the help of the Time Lords, the TARDIS lands on Spiradon.
However, this planet is hardly a safe haven. The Daleks are hatching another plot of universal domination but this time, their old enemies the Thals from Skaro are there to stop them.
- DOCTOR: The Third Doctor
- COMPANIONS: Jo Grant
- ENEMIES & ALIENS: The Daleks
- SPACE & TIME: Space: Spiradon
DID YOU KNOW? ~
- This was Terry Nation’s (the Dalek’s creator) first script since the First Doctor’s era.
- This story is a direct sequel to the previous episode as well as being a continuation of the Daleks from their first story The Daleks as this is the first story to feature the Thals since then.
- The Doctor mentions his first companions, Susan, Barbara and Ian.
- The story, plot wise, is a reworking of The Daleks. Many key story beats (the Doctor imprisoned with his legs paralysed, a Dalek city, a ravaged planet, etc) make a return.
- The character of Rebec was added by the producers as they began a policy of making sure there were more female guest characters in the show.
- The battles in the jungle were influenced by footage of the Vietnam War which would have been on the News at the time.
- This is the only time in the Classic Series in which the Daleks successfully shoot the Doctor, which causes him to be paralysed. In the new series, the Doctor was shot in The Stolen Earth, which caused him to regenerate and in The Big Bang which potentially would have eventually killed him had the universe not been reset.